Thursday, March 12, 2009

ARE YOU RICH?

There has been a lot of talk lately about what is and is not “middle class” in New Jersey. Governor Jon Corzine’s budget plan calls for eliminating property tax rebates for all but seniors, the disabled and households earning $75,000 a year or less. Corzine’s Treasurer, David Rousseau said Wednesday "Last year, about 230,000 non-senior homeowner households with incomes of between $50,000 and $75,000 received checks averaging about $1,000. Under this budget, this group will receive checks that average about $700………..the 2.5 million people making under $75,000 are barely touched, so 3.1 million of the roughly 3.8 million tax filers that we have in this state aren't touched…….it's basically the wealthiest 700,000, people above $100,00 that have any significant impact,"

One Republican lawmaker said if making $100,000 a year in New Jersey means you’re rich, then Rousseau should take a $41,000 pay cut and see if he still feels rich. Cabinet chiefs get paid $141,000 annually.

Democratic leaders aren’t sure what middle class is either. Assembly Speaker Joe Roberts was asked to give an income range and he said, “It’s in the eye of the beholder. The numbers indicate that the median income in our state is $67,000 a year.”

Assembly Majority Leader Bonnie Watson Coleman was asked the same question. She said, “I don’t think you can do a hard and fast commitment to a number because I think within incomes people have special needs and special issues………If the median income in New Jersey is $67,000 and somewhere around there is the middle class, then we are protecting property (taxpayers).”

If live in New Jersey, let me know if you think you’re rich. If you’re reading this from outside of New Jersey, let me know if you’re wondering why earning $100,000 annually isn’t enough to make you rich.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a single mom that commutes 60 miles one way to work to earn a large enough salary to keep me and my 3 kids in our house. I am not rich. We are able to pay our bills, but I keep my home cool, cut back on cable TV, turn off all electrical appliances and buy beef about once a month. I can't save anything for college or future car insurance for 3 teenagers. I am seriously considering moving out of state, except who is going to buy my house in this economic mess.

laura said...

by far from rich, and who would want to be!!! my comment is where the hell does all the money go that is generated from the lottery???? wasn't this for schools, pet projects, etc,etc,etc????